As you may know by now I have been in the process of developing a new personal website for the past few weeks. Well, it's finally here!
The new website is meant to be as similar to the old one in appearance as possible, but its aim is to increase performance and change the way it works. The new website uses my Girder framework for the layout and focuses on reusable CSS classes rather than repeating - something that plagued my old website from the beginning (remember, I wasn't really into web development when I started to rebuild it in 2013).
Although version 3 was the big build for my website, version 4 fixes a ton of stuff that made version 3.x less efficient than it could be. Version 4 also now uses all of my newly developed web tools, BalfBar 1.2, BalfPopup, Dash 1.0 and of course Girder. Dropping things like Magnific Popup makes the website even smaller, and in direct comparison, my new website is about a third of the size of my old one. As well as this, it uses my new development site strategy, allowing me to modify the development site independent of the live site.
Version 4 loads in less than 500ms when tested from Europe. Version 3 took approximately 1000ms to load. On top of that, I've developed a faster way of producing the pages, thus reducing the load on my server when running the PHP and in turn allowing more than 100 concurrent requests at once.
For historical reasons, I have kept just one page of my old website intact and available at http://2013.archive.jamiebalfour.scot/.
I've got tons of stuff still to bring to the new website, but the main aim of this update was to make the new site ready for improvements. My new website is by no means finished, but it's very functional and serves its purpose.